Sunday, December 20, 2009

Knoxville in Time for Christmas

Brandee and I drove from Murphreesborro today at 11:20 to come into Knoxville by 3:20 (with the time change included).
Heading west across the plateau, we found snow had fallen last night, just not where we thought it would. No more than an inch, it threw the whole landscape into sharp focus-- strips of light white highlighting the trees in deeper contrast than any shadow. Brandee compared the landscape to a scene in the computer game Oregon Trail; I compared it to a children's book illustrations from a long time ago.

My parents' new house is nice. How do you live in a new lovely house while remembering the people who cannot? Do you forsake the house, or just feel guilty?

A girl from UNC Chapel Hill died on December 16 from swine flu. She was on a ventilator for her lungs for 23 days. I didn't know her, but I kept checking the Facebook page that was set up for her for the updates. I cried when she died, then found out she was a theatre major too. In my ethics class we debated how to morally distribute ventilators in the case of a swine flu pandemic. There does not seem to be any great options.

I would like to remember all the things I have ever felt. 
Merry Christmas

Listen to the Chipmunk Christmas Song for extra winter feel-good nostalgia!



No comments:

Post a Comment