Saturday, March 13, 2010

Envisioning E-readers

Are we overlooking the physical implications of an e-reader?

Already as it is, tooling around on a laptop all the time has given me unmistakable "computer-posture." The neck jutting forward, the head out of alignment with the rest of the spine. This mal-aligned posture is just one symptom of the (literal) forward-thinking of contemporary culture. We are so enamoured with what is in front of our faces (T.V.'s, laptops, ipods and mp3s, e-readers...) that it seems as if we have forgotten the rest of our body in the jump into the digital.

I want an e-reader that has extendable arms that fold out from the main frame. They delicately reach out and wrap around the base of my skull. Every so often the device gently reminds me to breath deeply, re-align, and rest my eyes. I am not sure yet if my e-reader will have a robotic or human voice.

Also, I think e-readers should come in different colors.


No comments:

Post a Comment