Thursday, March 10, 2011

books

My grandmother, who is 93, reads a lot of novels. She cant do a lot of things physically any more, so my mother runs to the library every week or so to bring back stacks of fiction novels for her. I read them, then I forget them-- my grandmother will joke. In her room, I found a little boutiqu-y book journal that someone, maybe my uncle, got for her. Its not more than 4 by 4 inches big, each page you enter the book title and author, a rating, and "comments" (three lines). Do you like using this?-- I ask her. The first few pages have comments written out in a spidery hand "Good book. Dont understand why the husband would leave his..." before running out of room. This happened a few more times: "Good book. How come children dont appreciate...", "Good book. Didnt like the ending, so sad that the woman who...". Eventually, as the pages went on, the comments turned into "I like this" "I liked this" "Good book" "Really good book"-- all better fitting of the tiny space. -- I didn't know how write in it at first, answered my Mammaw, but I like the journal now that I've figured out the right way to do it.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED THIS POST. something good is happening to your writing

    ReplyDelete