Saturday, April 24, 2010

Coyotes

I am house-sitting for one of my mom's friends this weekend. Its a nice gig because as I am here the low-maintenance dogs are quietly resting near me (one on the bed with other on his mat).

Actually the only non-peaceful one of the bunch is me. Mom mentioned coyotes in this neighborhood, she all but passed out when I told her Dooley was still out in the backyard past sunset. So now I am here in this bedroom dreaming of coyotes that prowl circles around the house-- waiting and spying. Coyotes are always no good characters, and probably with just reason. First of all, they're wiley. Which anyone will tell you, we all know that. Also, they DO make off with small animals that may possibly be someones pet. I've never personally seen this happen; but, I am assured that it does occur and not infrequently.

For these reasons I am wary of going out to my car for some backseat-stash pajamas. Not that I actually think that something could happen to me in the four feet between the front door and my parked car. But you never know. Coyotes can be a tough bunch, and I just don't want to mess with that. This house has quickly become an island fortress that sheds warm comfort against whiskers and snouts.

In other news, I read on a website that promotes publication of "censored" topics that the Somalian piracy issue is rather a local volunteer coast guard acting in absence of a formal government. They are aggressively acting out against foreign ships, partially for money ransoms and also because foreign governments are seizing Somalia's current political weakness as an opportunity to fish illegally and dump toxic waste off their coasts. Naturally Somalian citizens are frightened and livid now that they've discovered that they are being used and abused by the rest of the world. Look it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment